Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Lent Day 14 – Voices in the Wilderness


Luke tells us that right before Jesus was led out into the desert for 40 days, he plunged into the baptism waters. We have the three elements of creation present in Luke’s telling of this part of the story. Luke 3:22 tells us that after Jesus was baptized (water), a dove (Spirit) descended and a voice (word) called down. The same voice that called creation into being also provides the declaration of identity. That voice declared to Jesus, “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” When the Father pours out His heart to Jesus, reminding him of who he is and whose he is, Jesus has yet to perform a miracle. He has yet to proclaim a world shaking teaching or world saving sacrifice. There is no performance or achievement motivation. Jesus is loved because he is Son. The Father doesn’t just love him, but also delights in him.
The text goes on to tell us that Jesus enters into his wilderness experience with another voice. It is the voice of the Enemy. It is the same voice that Eve hears in the Garden. The voice tells Jesus He can achieve full autonomy and independence without vulnerability. Jesus can declare independence from the Father. He can take what is His, never be in need again, answer to nobody and be bigger than anyone in history. The remarkable nature of the story is that Jesus has deprived himself and wrestled temptation and in that moment of temptation he can make all his personal discomfort and suffering end. He could turn stones into bread (possessions), own the kingdoms of the world (power), and create wonders to be marveled (popularity). When the Enemy presents these options (with Biblical references) Jesus responds by strongly rejecting them all. He passes them up for something much greater. He passes them up for the vulnerability and dependence of eternal love. He inherently knows that the temptation of self-sufficiency, power over people and fame are all very cheap substitutes for eternal love.
I’m faced with strong internal voices in my own wilderness. When I’m feeling my own hungers, my own loneliness and my own struggle against insignificance I immediately fantasize about having more abundant resources and possessions, more power and influence over people and more doting admirers. I want to have all I need without the pain of need. I also want all the ways to feel good about myself and my place in the word without the vulnerability and endless need for love. Jesus shows me another way. All the voices in me trying to overcome my personal demons through possessions, power and popularity will never provide the true life I’m made for. Jesus reveals that abundant life is tuning to a different voice, a voice declaring my true identity and my true position to the Father who loves AND delights in me.

Many days it seems impossible to hear the voice of the One calling me His own and declaring His love for me. It is so much easier to listen to the chorus of voices telling me the more stuff, more influence and more “followers” and “likes” are what I really need today. Those are all just very cheap substitutes for the life-giving, life-creating love of the Father. Luke later shows Jesus telling a story about the Father’s love. At the very end of the Prodigal Son story (Luke 15:31), the Father addresses the frustrated, resentful and hurt older brother. The father says to him, “my son, you are always with me and everything I have is yours.” Today, as I stilled myself I could hear and listen to the Father speak love into me. He washes me, breathes in me and speaks to me His love and pleasure. As, I continue to fight the busy and hectic today I will seek to, once again, slow down and listen. I will listen attentively to the true voice and once I hear His love over me, I will keep going in the way of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment