Saturday, April 15, 2017

Lent Day 31 - Sabbath Liberation Movement

At the time Jesus walked the earth Jewish tradition had two primary purposes for Sabbath keeping. Beyond merely keeping up with the local religious and societal obligations and law, the Sabbath was, first of all, observed to honor God's command to rest on the 7th day. This was a clear observance of the truth that "I"am not God and the world functions just fine without "me." It is an invitation into worshipful wonder and trust-filled connection and rest. It is a profound reminder that the world functions just fine without me. Secondly, the Sabbath was an observation of the Jews liberation from slavery. It was a reminder that God was a freedom-giver and a liberator. To put it simply, Sabbath was a return to two core truths about life in God; 1) I am cared for and 2) I am free. Typically, two candles were lit to commemorate each meaning or purpose of Sabbath.

I find that I when I'm in my own place of less or rest (Sabbath) I can see my oppressor much more clearly. The worst of my oppressors is "me." "I" am a terrible oppressor of "me." "I" can continually let myself know that I am not good enough, doing enough and falling short. "I" oppresses with great anxiety, guilt and shame. "I" secretly oppresses with doubt, comparison, discouragement and despair. "I" drives me to do more, be more, keep pushing and keep striving. "I", like an evil oppressor, gives little to no reward for all this torment and striving. It is no wonder why I avoid the less and rest of Sabbath. It is in that place I can see and hear my inner-oppresser so much more clearly. I'm also left with a sense of powerlessness to do anything about the oppressor since it dwells within me. So, "I" am in need of a much different "I am."

When Moses asks God (Yaweh) what to tell the Hebrews when he goes to rescue them, God answers, "Tell them 'I am' sent you" (Ex. 3:14). It was implicit that "I am" was the source of all life-giving power. "I am" was used by Pharaohs, Kings and Emperors as a statement of their power and their rule. So, when Moses tells his people that their "I am" has sent Moses to free them, they would understand its significance. As the liberation movement continues and the stakes get higher, Moses asks the great "I am" for reassurance. The answer Moses receives in the high stakes quest of liberating millions of people from the most powerful nation on earth is, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest" (Ex. 33:14). In the God life, rest and liberation go together. God's presence and call remains the same, liberation from the tyrants of life and restful peace in His goodness. May today I find the liberation from my internal tyrant through trusting resting the presence of God. I am deeply cared for and I am abundantly free!


No comments:

Post a Comment