Monday, April 3, 2017

Lent Day 26 - Love is No Disability

This is Autism awareness week. People are bringing awareness to Autism by wearing blue. I unintentionally show support since blue is my favorite color. There are a couple of families in our life that have an Autistic child. These families have been a significant part of our lives. They have experienced some unimaginable challenges as a result of the condition of their child. Life for these families can be both subtly and profoundly different and difficult. There is not a day that goes by when the condition doesn't determine a response. Most would say that these families, and the millions who live with this condition, have to daily confront a disability.

Certainly these families have to deal with a reality much different than I do. However, I would hardly call it a disability. These families have a way of life marked with great compassion, superhero-like patience, persevering service and sacrifice, and incredibly resilient love. They are both contagiously grateful and unflinchingly generous. They are families of deep faith. The last thing I would consider them to be is disabled. It is their challenges and the incredible love they have for their Autistic child that has helped them shape a life of remarkable and rare character. If we could all only be so lucky. Again, please do not get me wrong here. I have sat and listened to the heart-wrenching challenges and seemingly endless struggles. They are real and not to be taken lightly or even slightly dismissed. Yet, it is because they have worked tirelessly to love in the midst of these challenges and struggles that they have formed a God-shaped life.

I also know that I walk around with some fairly profound personal and spiritual disabilities. Because I can hide them so well with me perceived strengths, I suffer greatly. I can hide my needs and my profound limitation from the world and those around me. As a result, I suffer more and those around cannot experience more growth in love and life because I hide my needs. My Autistic friends cannot hide their needs. Their needs and limitations are much more obvious. Yet, their strength is their need. They have overcome some unbelievable odds and obstacles. They make the people around them better. They live inspiring lives. The irony is their limitations and needs create the perfect conditions for love and life to flourish.

Paul tells a story in II Corinthians 12 about having a painful disability and need. He prays and begs for it to go away. He said that Jesus answered his prayer. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Paul goes on to say that he ends up boasting in his weakness because of the amazing God-life it produces. Oh, to stop relying on my strengths and gifting, to stop using my "togetherness" as a shield against the love of others! Today, I will own my disabilities as a pathway to greater love and the greater God-life. Love is no disability!

No comments:

Post a Comment